09 August 2005
Where the F*ck is my dog?!?

Imagine that, hypothetically, you needed major surgery and had to travel to a different country to get it. Imagine that this surgery will be your 7th one in 9 months' time. For obvious reasons, you'd like your husband to accompany you as you'll be gone for over a month.

Because you'll be gone so long, you decide to have a trustworthy co-worker housesit for you; both to take care of your 3 pets and to keep an eye on the house. Said co-worker is given lots of instructions (written and verbal) on what needs to be done while you're gone, numerous ways to contact you, and agrees to accept the responsibility of staying at your house and feeding your animals. She is given many opportunities to change her mind and say she isn't up for it, but states that she'd love to do it, and agrees to take care of the things we discussed. She's also given the number and info for our kennel in case taking care of the animals proves too much for her--and told to drop them off if she needs to and we'll pay the bill when we return.

Occasionally you receive emails from the housesitter saying that everything is going fine.

Then, when you've been gone for almost a month you receive a very nasty email from your landlord saying that NO ONE has been staying at your house, the animals are only being fed once every other day, and the "housesitter" dropped off your keys and instructions to feed the dog with your neighbor(!?!?!) The landlord states that he was then told the dog is apparently now being kept in someone else's yard about 20 miles away.

The "housesitter" has apparently not contacted the gardeners (as she said she'd done) to remind them to come round weekly while you're gone, and on top of everything else, the landlord is angry that the garden is overgrown, and the painters he hired to paint the outside of the house can't get access.

I can't remember the last time I was this pissed. If you say you're going to do something, then you bloody well do it. If you find you can't, then you tell me. Don't lie to me and say everything's fine when you're fucking with my pets, my home and my lease. Not to mention my neighbors and my landlord.

And on top of it all, I know NO ONE in the village where my dog is apparently residing now. WTF!

On the bright side, this bitch works at the same place as I do. My boss is her boss. And my boss is most definitely not happy with her. Especially not after I called him at home to ask for his help, he knows I'm only a couple days out of major surgery and my hands are tied over here. I can barely bloody walk, let alone get over there and kick some ass.

In my line of work you just don't fuck over a co-worker like that. It's an integrity thing. Just don't do it. And you definitely don't lie about it. I hope for her sake she has receipts for the $200 I left her for pet food. I will press charges for left, and anything else I can make stick.

Don't worry Wolfie, Becks and Boudicat--we'll be home soon. Let's just hope we still have a home when our lease expires.

Rant over--just had to get it off my chest.



posted by Julie at 5:12 AM 5 comments

5 Comments:

Blogger Jen said...

Oh lady, you screwed up SO BAD!!!!! Take it from me, you don't mess with Julie.

Man, I CAN'T WAIT to see what happens next....I'm making popcorn!

Tue Aug 09, 07:11:00 AM GMT+1  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's SO not right! Have you talked to your landlord? He'll probaly be understanding once he knows the whole story.

Tue Aug 09, 01:14:00 PM GMT+1  
Blogger lochan said...

That is all really messed up. I hope you are remembering to breathe.

Tue Aug 09, 04:06:00 PM GMT+1  
Blogger Renee Nefe said...

I'm so sorry Julie! What a b!tc# I think that I would have forwarded the email from the landlord to her and ask her WTF is going on.
Great idea to get your boss in on this. I know that this isn't directly mentioned in the "code of conduct" but you don't mess over your workmates. That's just wrong!

I hope that you find all your pets in good health and your landlord understands. Too bad he didn't contact you sooner.

Tue Aug 09, 04:15:00 PM GMT+1  
Blogger Lora said...

I would so kill, but it seems that things are mending.

Hope you are mending well and that this is your last surgery.

Happy Birthday!

Fri Aug 19, 03:35:00 AM GMT+1  

Post a Comment

<< Home