14 July 2005
Welcome to the house of fun

I HATE getting ready for a trip. Hate it. We leave tomorrow for 5 weeks (part holiday, part surgery) in the States, and packing is a bloody nightmare.

I've just spent an hour locating passports, with the requisite panic involved when they weren't where I thought they were. Did I think to look for them before the last minute? Nope. "I know just where they are". Five passports found in five different places. I'm so organized it's scary.

We've had to pay next month's rent along with this month's since we won't be able to access the bank while we're gone. So that's $5,000 out of savings, on top of the $6,000 for the tickets. I wonder if my parents will believe me now when I tell them I'm BROKE?

To make matters worse, my 10 year old hasn't stopped talking since last Tuesday. Bless her heart, love her to bits, but put a sock in it! I've offered her $20 to not talk on the flight--as if! If anyone has ideas on how to shut up a preteen without bringing social services down on my head, they'd be greatly appreciated!

And my 3 yr old has an identity crisis. He's either Peter Pan, a power ranger, or a puppy, depending on his mood. I'm sure it will be a lovely 10 hour flight --"Power Rangers, power up! Hyuh!" He's also been potty trained for a grand total of 3 days. We're bringing lots of extra clothes for him. Wish us luck that we don't flood the plane.

And to top it all off, my DH has lost his mind. He's befriended a spider (now his pet) and named it Boris. He's been "hunting" flies with the fly swatter for the past 2 days to feed to Boris. I wish I was kidding, folks. Also, he went and got a perfectly good haircut a couple days ago, then yesterday decided he didn't like it. So did he go back and ask the lady to fix it? Nope. He shaved his head. Yup, two days before we leave to visit my family he decides he'd look great as a convict.

I, of course, am completely sane. Yeah, right.

Thank god I'm on percocet.


posted by Julie at 2:56 PM 7 comments

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow! Good luck on your surgery situation.
I have a 'talker' too and no amount of money will make them stop. Trust me! lol
I love your blog and am adding you to my blogroll! Keepus posted!
Chana
www.bunnyburrow.com

Thu Jul 14, 03:36:00 PM GMT+1  
Blogger Anita said...

Are you kidding? I'm going to whip YOUR a** on Battle of the Blogs? I don't think so.

This post is hysterical!! And I can so relate to the trauma of travelling with kids.

When my son was three, we flew to California (8 hr flight). He fell sound asleep in the seat. Unfortunately, he peed in his sleep and the seat. The seat was SOAKED. I had a change of clothes - thank god - but they just put one of those blankets over the seat. I felt soooo sorry for the next person flying on that plane. I wish you lots of luck with your flight, especially your little guy.

I could never get ready for a 5 week trip. I can barely prepare for one!

Thu Jul 14, 06:40:00 PM GMT+1  
Blogger eyes_only4him said...

wish ya the best Jules..I hope your ok...Hope the flight goes well..and i do not think there is any way to get a 10 year old to zip it..lol

Thu Jul 14, 07:00:00 PM GMT+1  
Blogger mommyguilt said...

Good luck to you Julie! I don't think I've ever traveled on a plane with my children..by car, yes. Plane they did with their father. You are truly my hero! Not only can you pack for a 5wk trip at the last minute, but you FOUND ALL of your passports!

Checking your temp and it looks like Chicago and London are about the same today. Of course it's 8:00pm now, and it's only 2:00 here, but it's about 85.

Best of luck on your trip. Keep us posted on your comings, goings, and everything in between!

Thu Jul 14, 08:38:00 PM GMT+1  
Blogger carpediemtomorrow said...

Doesn't anyone have a heart, what about poor Boris......nobody has asked about his well being or how he will do when I am gone....

Thu Jul 14, 09:37:00 PM GMT+1  
Blogger Jen said...

Hey, I shaved Scott's head once, too! I guess he's an "all or nothing" kinda guy...

My kids will not stop talking no matter what I do. So, I've learned to tell them when I just can't listen any more that my brain is tired. It doesn't shut them up, but it gives them fair warning that I'm not paying attention any more.

Poor Boris, does his lifespan even cover 5 weeks?

Thu Jul 14, 11:52:00 PM GMT+1  
Blogger Renee Nefe said...

Safe trip Julie! I'd give Boris the shoe before your trip in case Boris is actually Borella! Oh stop whining Scott, you'll find another spider!

Prayers for a sucessful surgery!

Fri Jul 15, 12:02:00 AM GMT+1  

Post a Comment

<< Home