09 July 2005
The blind leading the 'blind'

Here's a culinary nightmare for you. A restaurant in Paris, Dans les Noir, operates in complete darkness. That's right, no lights at all. They employ blind wait staff to help the diners find their way to their tables, to the bathrooms, and to cut food. I have to ask---why? Why would you pay $60 a person to not even see what you're eating?

It's an interesting concept, but that's about it. It could be an interesting "lesson" on how it might feel to be blind, but I can't imagine a restaurant could survive on the novelty alone for very long. Apparently people take their kids there, too. Oh no, not my kids! They can do plenty of damage in broad daylight---I'm not letting them loose in the dark with sharp implements.

Personally, I'd be too afraid there were nasties in my food to be able to eat anyway. I mean seriously, what if something had gone off and there were bugs crawling on your plate? Eeewww! No thanks, I'll stick with well-lit eateries and save the blind experience for another day.

Just out of curiosity--would you eat there?


posted by Julie at 9:52 PM 12 comments

12 Comments:

Blogger eyes_only4him said...

honey i wont even eat at a fast food joint..no way baby..i need to see what the heck i am putting in my mouth..lol

Sat Jul 09, 10:56:00 PM GMT+1  
Blogger atomicvelvetsigh said...

ohh yeah i first heard about this kind of "dark" resto at Germany. although i dunno who started it. interesting place. just cross your fingers that you wont bite something that's moving... lol

Sat Jul 09, 11:10:00 PM GMT+1  
Blogger carrie said...

no. that sounds scary.

Sat Jul 09, 11:14:00 PM GMT+1  
Blogger Vixen said...

Nope. I'm all about adventure but not that adventurous!! Nice blog, very well done.

Sun Jul 10, 01:02:00 AM GMT+1  
Blogger Erika said...

You betcha, bring it on.

Sun Jul 10, 01:47:00 AM GMT+1  
Blogger Vetmommy said...

WOW! Your blog looks great! Better than a Redbook makeover!

I heard about this restaurant (or one similar) on NPR and I would absolutely eat there. However, my husband, who is a very picky eater with many food aversions, would never, so I'm not sure who I'd go with... The blind waittresses are supposed to be fabulous, and just imagine, that is how they eat their every meal. C'mon, who hasn't put something in their mouth and then been shocked to find (via the tastebuds) its not what they thought it was!

Sun Jul 10, 03:16:00 AM GMT+1  
Blogger Dawn said...

I just found your site and I think it look really good! I will be back to read more.

Sun Jul 10, 04:11:00 AM GMT+1  
Blogger Jen said...

I would have called this one "The Blind Feeding the 'Blind'" Hee hee!

No, I wouldn't eat there. Not that I have a problem with blind people, I've just worked in enough restaurants with sighted people where they couldn't keep clean enough to avoid mice and roaches. I'm sure blind people can keep their home kitchens very clean, but restaurant kitchens are a completely different ballgame.

Sun Jul 10, 04:49:00 AM GMT+1  
Blogger ATHiker95 said...

I believe sight effects taste as well, so eating with one's eyes basically closed - well.....

Would be an interesting experiment to sit down and eat blindfolded to see if food tastes different. :)

Mark

Sun Jul 10, 05:30:00 AM GMT+1  
Blogger Renee Nefe said...

I would have to bring a candle. I wonder how you order? You can't see the menu, so do the staff tell what's on the menu too?

And the whole creapy crawly thing would get to me too.

Besides the French don't like Americans...or is that just a stereotype? If it's true they could do some really mean things to the food.

Sun Jul 10, 06:42:00 AM GMT+1  
Blogger Lora said...

Only in France would that level of crumby service be acceptable. The blind eating experience sounds interesting though.

Sun Jul 10, 08:53:00 AM GMT+1  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You make they rice, I love you, yes?

Sun Jul 10, 12:00:00 PM GMT+1  

Post a Comment

<< Home