22 June 2005
All in a day's work

I've gone back to work this week (after convalescing from my 5th surgery since Dec), and damn, is it tough! I'm only working half-days for now, and still on pain meds, but can't seem to make it through even 4 hours without feeling like I'd just rather curl up and die. My doc gave me the choice to go back or to stay home on convalescent leave awaiting my next surgery at the end of July, and I chose to go back. I'm now thinking I made a bad decision; I'll give it the rest of the week to see how it goes, then we may have to chat again.

On the bright side, I was welcomed back with
this news. One of my friends from work has just been selected as the first female Thunderbird in USAF history (no other branch has any female demo pilots, just for
the record).

I know there'll be the typical comments out there about filling quotas, and why are women flying jets anyway, and why make a big deal out of her being a woman? I know these comments are out there, cause I've seen them surfing the net.

To those people I have to say: FiFi is one of the most awesome people I've ever had the opportunity to work with. She is brilliant, seriously talented, and ranks high on the list of nicest people I've ever met. She is a shit-hot pilot, and she works her ass off. She deserves every bit of this. And yes, it's a big deal that she's a woman in the fighter world.

So congrats, FiFi---best of luck to you with the Thunderbirds, we'll miss you! Oh yeah--don't forget to kick some ass and don't forget the panthers you've left behind!
FiFi


posted by Julie at 10:19 PM 7 comments

7 Comments:

Blogger eyes_only4him said...

man..I had no idea you have been going thru surgeries and stuff..I hope your ok....

Go kick some ass Fi Fi...:-)

get better soon Jules..:-)

Wed Jun 22, 11:45:00 PM GMT+1  
Blogger Lora said...

I had a feeling you had gone back to work, because you semed to be blogging less.

Terrific for you friend, I haven't seen the Thunderbirds in a long time, but no doubt we'll see them next time they're in the area.

Thu Jun 23, 12:48:00 AM GMT+1  
Blogger Theo said...

good. good.

blue skys for you both!

Thu Jun 23, 01:52:00 AM GMT+1  
Blogger Renee Nefe said...

Congrats to your friend from a former AF wife/ now Air Guard wife. :D

Hope you're feeling better soon!

Thu Jun 23, 03:24:00 AM GMT+1  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

There are no quotas at that level. Only the cream rises to the top. If she's there, she deserves to be there.

She deserved jets too. Quotas being filled for jet spots results in pilots buying the farm.

Good on her. I know the field rep for the t-birds that works the engines (or I did unless they switched out). That's a great group of folks out there working on her plane.

Thu Jun 23, 04:35:00 AM GMT+1  
Blogger Jen said...

Woohoo for your friend, that's seriously important!

I hope you are feeling better soon, or they give you better drugs or something. Hugs and kisses all around.

Thu Jun 23, 08:10:00 AM GMT+1  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your friend makes women everywhere look good. You tell her I said that :)

Just came here to say thanks for stopping by and commenting. Not sure why you're having surgery (comment first, read blog entries later - that's me) but I hope you'll climb back up to the mountaintop soon.

Thu Jun 23, 08:49:00 AM GMT+1  

Post a Comment

<< Home