01 August 2005
Smithsonian: there's no place like home

Ok, so after years of enduring taunts from my Brit hubbie about how America has no history, I decided to take him on a tour of DC's sites while we're here. Since I haven't been here in a few years, I searched for DC tourist info online. I'd been telling him how great the Smithsonian is, and when I saw the Museum of American History is in DC I thought, "Awesome, perfect, I'll take him there!" Then I read the description.

" The National Museum of American History is full of cultural touchstones - they've got the original American flag and, more importantly, the original Kermit the Frog, as well as Fonzie's leather jacket, Dorothy's ruby slippers and a whole bunch of sensible historical stuff."

Ok, I know we're a young country, but Fonzie's jacket?? Really?? At least the website author had the presence of mind to be tongue-in-cheek about it. I really want to go now--just for a good laugh--but I do NOT want to take DH. I don't think I could bear the teasing.



EDITED TO ADD: We did go to the Museum of American History. It actually had lots of cool stuff--the Star Spangled Banner that Francis Scott Key wrote about, a wonderful "The Price of Freedom--America at War" exhibit, and other actual historical stuff. The cheesy things were all in the Popular Culture exhibit--and boy were they cheesy! Mr Rogers' sweater, Howdy Doody, the chairs from All in the Family, that sort of thing. All I can say is WHY?? Scott giggled the whole way through. :)


posted by Julie at 4:15 PM 2 comments

2 Comments:

Blogger Jane said...

Kermit the frog? Cool! you should go really you should he's a cultural icon.

Mon Aug 01, 06:33:00 PM GMT+1  
Blogger carpediemtomorrow said...

Well, were should I begin....he he he....All I will say at this moment is that it was a wonderful exhibit of prehistoric artefacts!
Did you know that our house is nearly 600 years old but doesn't have a leather jacket worn by a fictional character in a childrens show!
I thank my DW for showing me the sights of DC

Tue Aug 02, 03:49:00 AM GMT+1  

Post a Comment

<< Home