02 August 2005
Do you really want to know?

Several people have asked if I'm ever going to share what all these surgeries have been about. I'm a couple hours out from my 7th surgery this year, and I can't sleep (which is fine cause I'll be sleeping all day tomorrow!) so I decided to go ahead and blog the story. This will hopefully satisfy any curiosity out there--but it also fits into the "too much information" category. I can't sleep anyway cause I'm nervous, so maybe a little venting will help.


WARNING--contains graphic girly stuff! I meant to use an expanded post--but I can't get the stupid thing to work---so if you don't want to know, stop reading now!


This surgery is to try to correct a urethral fistula. This is a very rare condition in women--almost always caused by a previous surgery. Basically, it's a hole between the urethra (the tube that carries urine from the bladder to the outside) and the vagina. What that means is that when you pee, all of it comes out the wrong place. Sound like fun? Nope. They will be reconstructing my urethra using tissue from another part of my body. I can hardly wait!

My fistula was, in fact, caused by a surgeon (bitch). Remember that lovely
hospital stay in London back in May? Yup, that surgeon (bitch) was supposed to be fixing my problems, and instead she put a hole in my urethra. She is not my favorite person.

Let me start at the beginning. I had my second child in 2001. I guess he didn't want to come out, because when he was born he pulled everything out with him. The traumatic birth caused both a
uterine prolapse and a cystocele. Basically my uterus was coming out, and dragging my bladder with it. Since I didn't want any more kids, I opted for a hysterectomy (at the tender young age of 30) instead of major reconstructive surgery. Everything went well, and the repair should have held until I was an old lady.

But it didn't. Three years later the cystocele returned--as a grade IV, the worst kind. My bladder had fallen and was actually blocking the vaginal opening. You can imagine that was pretty uncomfortable, not to mention the fact that I couldn't ever empty my bladder. As luck would have it, I also had a
rectocele; basically a prolapse of the intestine. Back to the OR.

Since I already had a failed repair, this time they decided to do a sling. The sling was essentially a tissue graft (made of porcine tissue) that created a "hammock" for my bladder to rest on. And that was when all the real problems started. I was back in the OR 2 weeks later because the tissue graft was infected--debridement and IV antibiotics for me. And from the first day they removed the catheter I have never been able to pee correctly. Either I can't go at all (first time that happened it caused a mad dash to the ER) or I go all over the place without meaning to. Really great stuff. I've had to use catheters regularly since December, and been through so many tests and evaluations that I could probably become a urologist myself!

I've had five subsequent surgeries trying to correct the problems the sling caused (urethral obstruction, painful bladder spasms, major incontinence issues, general pain). Tomorrow's surgery is to fix a problem that was caused during a surgery which was supposed to fix the real problems (which still haven't been fixed).

Well, I'm sure I've grossed you all out enough now--if anyone read this far, that is! I'm going to go find some other way to amuse myself for the next 2 1/2 hours before I have to be at the hospital. I should be discharged from the hospital on Thursday, so I'll post then and give an update. Until then, wish me luck!!!



posted by Julie at 6:36 AM 10 comments

10 Comments:

Blogger Jen said...

Hugs, sweetie. I'm keeping you in my prayers! I love you!

Tue Aug 02, 04:41:00 PM GMT+1  
Blogger Renee Nefe said...

By the time you read this you'll be out of surgery and all better! right?

You're in my prayers for a sucessful surgery that repairs everything and no infections.

We're heading up the Mt Evans w/ Jen on Friday and expect to have a party in your honor.

Tue Aug 02, 06:13:00 PM GMT+1  
Blogger Anne said...

I hope everything went well and that you're well on your way to recovery. Good luck!

Tue Aug 02, 06:24:00 PM GMT+1  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

No one should have to go through so much. :(

Good luck tomorrow!

Tue Aug 02, 07:02:00 PM GMT+1  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jen said you are out and doing well. You'll remain in our prayers. I can not imagine how painful all of this must be.

Tue Aug 02, 08:54:00 PM GMT+1  
Blogger mommyguilt said...

All of my prayers are with you and I'm attempting to send a lot of luck across the pond to you. Keep us posted.

Tue Aug 02, 09:50:00 PM GMT+1  
Blogger lochan said...

Thanks for keeping us updated. I hope everything went well. Take care of yourself!

Tue Aug 02, 10:34:00 PM GMT+1  
Blogger Vetmommy said...

WOW, that is some history, thanks for sharing. I can't believe the medical care you've endured. After all that, you deserve an uncomplicated successful recovery. I'll be keeping good thoughts for you!

Wed Aug 03, 04:36:00 AM GMT+1  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm hoping this one takes care of the rest of it!

It wasn't a gross post, but I found myself crossing my legs in sympathy!

Fri Aug 05, 03:31:00 AM GMT+1  
Blogger Lora said...

I am never uncrossing my legs again.

You've written lots since this post so I'll save my good wishes for the next trip in. I hope they get everything fixed upp proberly soon. I can only imagine how horrible this whole situation must be for you.

With how often yo were going in for surgery and your lack of explaination I was afraid that you might have been getting tumors removed or something along those lines.

Sun Aug 07, 06:41:00 AM GMT+1  

Post a Comment

<< Home