18 May 2005
I'll take private any day!!!

Well, I'm back and all in one piece. It's too early to say whether the surgery was successful or not, but it was definitely an experience. This was my first stay in a private hospital, and it was a trip! **see bottom


I have to say that, even in the private hospital, the anesthesiologist still had someone give my arm a little squeeze, to start my IV. Yikes! You'd think they could afford a penrose drain, or at least a bp cuff!

The surgery went fine, and a couple hours later I was back in my room. It looked like a hotel room (as opposed to the NHS room--4 people, no curtains between us, no phone, no bathroom, no tv, no nothing!), and I had my own tv, phone, bathroom, etc.

The nurses, apart from one evil lady, were wonderful. They would bring you anything you wanted. They had a catering staff on the premises to bring you coffee or tea trays, cookies, snacks, along with meals.

The menu was impressive. For dinner that night I had fillet mignon. No, seriously. And it was really good, too. There was also a WINE AND SPIRITS list (I took a pic with my phone but I can't figure out how to download it!). I didn't get to order a bottle of wine, being on narcotics, but it was pretty cool anyway.

But I think the biggest difference--from any hospital I've ever been in--was that I was allowed to SMOKE...IN MY ROOM. Can you imagine?!! They brought me an ashtray and everything. I seriously did not want to leave. Narcotics, remote control, good food, not having to get out of bed for anything, room service---and wine and cigarettes!! That's my idea of a cool place!

I'm going to go now, and take more drugs and a nap!


** (The National Health Service is the free health system available to all british citizens. However, it sometimes leaves a lot to be desired. Long waiting lists {up to 2 years for some surgeries}, dirty hospitals, underpaid overworked staff, etc. Because of this, the private health care system has sprung up, and those who have insurance, or have lots of money, can get private care more quickly and in better circumstances than on the NHS)


posted by Julie at 1:20 PM 6 comments

6 Comments:

Blogger Jen said...

Man, that's really different! I'm glad you're home and I hope you're feeling better soon. Smooch!

Wed May 18, 05:19:00 PM GMT+1  
Blogger Lora said...

I'm glad your back and I hope your feeling better soon.

That wine and cigarettes thing would just never happen here in the States, never.

My mother had my brother while were living in England. As an Amercian she had no chioce, but to use the private care. That was twenty five years ago, but she says that it was the best hospital experience she's ever had.

Wed May 18, 05:37:00 PM GMT+1  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You're back!! You're alive and smokin'!! Glad to hear you survived NHS.

Wed May 18, 11:06:00 PM GMT+1  
Blogger Julie said...

Thanks everyone! I'm glad to be back, even if I do have to get out of bed now. :)

Thu May 19, 01:21:00 PM GMT+1  
Blogger The Complimenting Commenter said...

Sounds almost like a vacation. I'm glad that you came out of it okay and enjoyed the room. Hope recovery is quick. Fantabulous post.

Thanks for commenting earlier.

Thu May 19, 04:45:00 PM GMT+1  
Blogger lochan said...

I'm glad to hear everything went well. I hope this is your last surgery and your recovery goes quickly.

Sun May 22, 04:40:00 PM GMT+1  

Post a Comment

<< Home