23 October 2005
Santa Claus has come to town

Yesterday my son decided to be Santa Claus. Or, more specifically, Daddy Ho Ho Ho as he so quaintly calls Santa. It's a bastardization of Father Christmas, which is what my English husband has taught him to call Santa. Anyway, he sat on a kiddie rocking chair in our living room, put on his most solemn face, and had everyone in the house "sit" on his lap and tell him what they wanted Daddy Ho Ho Ho to bring them for Christmas. It was positively adorable.

But it got better when my DH said he wanted "Mommy to get better" for Christmas. (I've had lots of medical problems this year--if you're interested, click
here) Liam furrowed his brows, thinking hard for a minute, then disappeared into the games room. He came back several minutes later with all the plastic tools from his Craftsman kid's work bench.

Liam came over to me on the couch and told me I had to go to sleep. He then proceeded to "operate" on me---with a hacksaw, a hammer, a screwdriver, some pliers and a wrench. He "opened me", did some work, then "put me back together" and woke me up. When I opened my eyes he gave me the biggest smile, full of pride, and told me I was all better!


I learned a couple important lessons from this little "operation". First of all, my medical problems have affected my kids more than I thought. It's obviously limited what I can do with them, but I didn't realize how much even my 4 yr old had been troubled by it. Secondly, I learned that my littlest one has a heart of gold.

That's all I want for Christmas.


posted by Julie at 2:31 PM 11 comments

11 Comments:

Blogger Cheryl said...

AWWWWW!!!!

Had to say that, even though I am genuinely stuck for anything else to say.

I mean. Really. AWWWWW!!!!

Wonderful :-D

Sun Oct 23, 08:16:00 PM GMT+1  
Blogger Jen said...

A hacksaw, hammer, screwdriver, pliers and a wrench?

I say get him some real tools at the hardware store and let him have a go at it. I mean, really, it's not like he could do worse...

Sun Oct 23, 08:48:00 PM GMT+1  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Awww...it won't stick with them forever though. At least not always.

When I was preg. with Gavin, Dylan was 6, Madi was 4. I had a PICC line, a home nurse, and was SO very sick. At the time I was so concerned about the trauma I was causing them (because my son started praying at night "Please don't let my mommy die")...but now they dont' even remember it...other than the "nice lady Debbie who came to our house every day and talked to you" (That would be my home nurse).

Mon Oct 24, 12:56:00 AM GMT+1  
Blogger eyes_only4him said...

how sweet, now you never no, his piers might of fixed something:)

I do hope you get back to your normal self soon adn your medical woes fixed

Tue Oct 25, 02:40:00 AM GMT+1  
Blogger Vetmommy said...

Hilarious, and preciously sweet.

Tue Oct 25, 02:50:00 AM GMT+1  
Blogger Julie said...

Thanks, everyone! And Jen, you're probably right; it might even help! :)

Tue Oct 25, 01:24:00 PM GMT+1  
Blogger mommyguilt said...

Oh you've got a bunch of sweeties there who love you tons!

You're so lucky! :-)

Tue Oct 25, 06:32:00 PM GMT+1  
Blogger Jen said...

Ha! You can't tell me to sod off, though. Why did Scott quit blogging?

Sat Oct 29, 03:27:00 AM GMT+1  
Blogger Jen said...

Hey, Jules, where are you?

Mon Oct 31, 03:42:00 PM GMT  
Blogger Jen said...

OK, now I'm starting to worry...

Tue Nov 01, 03:55:00 PM GMT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That is just the sweetest story. Give Liam big hugs and kisses from us.

Sat Nov 26, 02:41:00 PM GMT  

Post a Comment

<< Home