13 October 2005
Obsession

Other than bringing to mind crappy 80s music, this title completely describes me on my pain meds. For some reason the meds cause me to obsess over one thing after another--I really don't know why. It just erases any common sense or impulse inhibition I have, so I find myself really wanting something and not able to think of a good reason NOT to do it. I wish it would stop, it's getting expensive!

My latest obsession is making a quilt. Yup, a quilt. Not so bad, you think? Lots of people make quilts, right? Sure---but THOSE people know how to sew! Now ask me, "Julie, do you know how to sew?" Nope. "Do you own a sewing machine?" Again, nope. "Do you have any idea how to quilt?" Nope. But, I have this compulsion to quilt, NOW!!!

So, I've gone and bought all the material (I'm too embarrassed to say how much it cost!), the tools, and (da da da DA) a sewing machine! How's that for crazy??

I even had to call my mom from the craft store to find out about the tools I need, and then again about the materials. On my cell phone. International. Bright, eh?

I figure for the price of this quilt (and I don't even have everything I need yet!) I could have bought a new bed, forget about just a stinking blanket! Oh well, at least I didn't spend the money on
cockroaches! (Sorry, Jen!)

So wish me luck, and if anyone wants to come visit and teach me how to sew, or quilt even, I'm happy to have you!


posted by Julie at 8:59 AM 5 comments

5 Comments:

Blogger Jen said...

Wow, that *IS* odd. I know that you can do it, it's really not that hard and you're pretty smart and persistent.

Start with a simple pattern. Can you get one of those "Quilt in a Day" books from your library or Amazon (or ebay?) You can't really do them in a day, but they have lots of shortcuts.

Best of luck!

Thu Oct 13, 05:40:00 PM GMT+1  
Blogger eyes_only4him said...

u go girl...i have had a bit of what I call "the martha stewart ruboff"...i have been baking from scratch, cleaning my linens on the gentle cycle...man its contagoius.

this weekend i am decorating a pumpin with glitter that i saw on martha..i will post pics of it this weekend..

we are in trouble jewls...big trouble...

btw..my hubby crossstiches and has no idea how either:)

Fri Oct 14, 03:21:00 AM GMT+1  
Blogger Julie said...

Just so you guys know--it's a simple pattern quilt, and I'm going to tie it, not hand-quilt it--I'm not quite THAT crazy!

Christina--your hubbie cross stiches??? That's great and hilarious at the same time! :)

And yes, I've been seen lately making dough from scratch, and for the first time in my life actually BAKED SOMETHING HOMEMADE to take to my daughter's school function (I'm the one who brings paper plates/soda!). I really don't think I'm well....

Fri Oct 14, 03:43:00 PM GMT+1  
Blogger Jen said...

OK, now you're kinda freaking me out. Have they checked for brain tumors and stuff?

Hee hee!

Seriously, you've probably just been home long even, even if it's because you've been sick, that you're starting to nest. It's OK, the worst thing that can happen is that you will make some awful craft or try a nasty recipe, and you can just throw them away. Homemaking is not as high-stakes as what you're used to.

Fri Oct 14, 05:09:00 PM GMT+1  
Blogger Renee Nefe said...

OMG I'm ROTFLOL!

First, I love that "crapy 80's song!" but I'll forgive that comment as I know that not everyone is the same. No accounting for tastes. to each their own and all that jazz...

Second, I'm just in a fit of giggles over your expensive quilt. I hope that it comes out very pretty.

Quilting isn't all that hard...mostly just sewing stuff together. I taught myself to sew and while I wouldn't say that I'm good enough to sew stuff to wear in public...I can make some pretty good halloween costumes.

Thu Oct 20, 06:36:00 PM GMT+1  

Post a Comment

<< Home