01 October 2005
Why would you want that!??

Surfing ebay today, I came across this...
ANTIQUE YELLOWWARE NAPPY SERVING DISH, current bid, $68.

WTF?? In Britain, a nappy is a diaper. Why does a diaper need a plate? Do some people serve them to guests? Clean or used? Cloth or disposable? And the biggest question of all--WHY? Eeww!

I searched ebay for "nappy", thinking maybe the seller made a typo. Nope--
pages of nappy dishes came up. I figured it must mean something else, so I googled it, looking for a definition.

Sure enough, it's a "small, rimless earthenware or glass dish with a flat bottom and sloping sides. They are used for serving sauces".

Is this common knowledge? Was I supposed to know this (instead of giggling like an 8 year-old)? I'm going to buy one (a cheaper one, though!), just so I can offer guests mustard or
Branston pickle* from my very own nappy dish.


* a condiment usually put on sandwiches--chunky brown in appearance


posted by Julie at 7:43 PM 5 comments

5 Comments:

Blogger Cheryl said...

Ooh no, korma sauce!
Golden brown and runny, with bits.

(sorry!)

Sun Oct 02, 12:10:00 AM GMT+1  
Blogger Jen said...

I've also heard the term "nappy" used to refer to hair, sometimes controversially ( http://www.adversity.net/special/nappy_hair.htm ) but never to sauces.

I say fill that puppy with Hershey's and let'er rip!

Sun Oct 02, 12:16:00 AM GMT+1  
Blogger Vetmommy said...

I LOVE Branston pickle! Fortunately, I can get it here at the specialty grocery stores in Austin, TX.

Branston pickle makes a cheese sandwich DIVINE. Has to be sharp cheddah, of course!

Sun Oct 02, 02:54:00 AM GMT+1  
Blogger eyes_only4him said...

LOL..There was a girl who I went to school with..I use to tell her she had nappy hair...lol

nappy, still makes me laugh...I might have to start using it ore often:)

Sun Oct 02, 03:59:00 AM GMT+1  
Blogger mommyguilt said...

Eeeuuuwwww....sounds like a great practical joke, though..perhaps for Halloween!

Mon Oct 03, 03:03:00 PM GMT+1  

Post a Comment

<< Home