15 September 2005
A bit sheepish

I keep saying that my dog is dumber than a box of rocks--and today he proved it beyond a shadow of a doubt.

He's been kept outside on a lead the last few days during working hours--we've had painters and builders working in our yard. It's a very long lead, and he has everything he needs over there, but he doesn't like it very much. Because he's such a big dog (and the workers are afraid of him), he's on a cable lead attached to a tree, and a steel choke collar.

Today I opened the door to let the cat out, and saw Wolfie trotting up to the house. He'd apparently decided he didn't want to be on the lead any more, and BENT his choke collar and got it off.

I didn't even know they could do that! The collar is like a chain, with two larger metal loops on the ends, and you have to slide the chain through the loop then place it over his head. He pulled so hard on it he bent the loop so the other loop could fit through!

The reason this makes him dumb is because he pulled so hard he hurt himself. We had to take him to the vet today to make sure he hadn't done any serious damage. He just kept crying and whining, and moving really slow. He's fine, though. The vet put him on doggy motrin cause he bruised himself up, but he'll feel better in a day or two.

Meanwhile, he's moping around the house looking really sheepish; as if he feels kind of dumb. Hmmm.... It's a good thing he's cute (and sweet).


upclose wolfie


posted by Julie at 12:01 AM 7 comments

7 Comments:

Blogger carpediemtomorrow said...

and now soon to be up for sale!

Thu Sep 15, 11:09:00 AM GMT+1  
Blogger Jen said...

Poor puppy :-(

Thu Sep 15, 05:46:00 PM GMT+1  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh God he's so cute!

Thu Sep 15, 06:08:00 PM GMT+1  
Blogger eyes_only4him said...

aww..poor feller...

I had a dog dumber than a box of rocks too..he could pry his choke chain off too...but his was not your typical choke chain..his was a pinch collar..spikes went into his neck if he got too rowdy..( i know..this was recomend by his trainer..) anyhoo..he got it off a number of times and had the bloddy marks to prove it..

u have a beautiful dog:)

Thu Sep 15, 07:34:00 PM GMT+1  
Blogger mommyguilt said...

Wow! I thought I was the only one with a dumb dog! My current dog and my previous dog are both yellow labs. Buck, my previous dog was sweet, loveable, and smart. Ella - she makes a tree stump look like a genious. I can't even begin to think of all of the dumb stuff she does, but she could give Wolffe a run for his money.

Thu Sep 15, 08:41:00 PM GMT+1  
Blogger Renee Nefe said...

For the most part I've had really smart dogs...who do dumb things.

Like Misty who get out of the back yard only to come up to the front door and ask to come back in. ???

And Lilly who knows that she isn't supposed to bark at the neighbor dogs...so she runs back and forth at the fence without barking to annoy the other dogs into barking at her... but I have to bring her in because our neighbor has a dog who is even dumber. He eats his way through the fence (even though Lilly went back inside a long time ago) gets into my yard and then starts barking at the dogs in the other neighbor's yard and starts tearing apart that fence. I sure wish that my neighbor would put something against the fence on his side so his dog can't get at it. Oh well.
Feel better poor puppy dog.

Fri Sep 16, 05:32:00 PM GMT+1  
Blogger Julie said...

Yes, Wolfie is cute (thanks), that's been his only saving grace!

christina--what did you do when he kept getting out of his collar? that would drive me insane!

seshat--wow--that IS a dumb dog! Actually, I've been wondering if these dogs aren't actually the smarter ones--seems like us poor humans can't keep them confined...

Renee--at least your dog comes back to the door! Mine is GONE when he gets out... I would not want your neighbors--have you complained to them at all about their dog! I wouldn't be very happy (understatement) about someone's else's dog eating my fence!

Sat Sep 17, 01:21:00 PM GMT+1  

Post a Comment

<< Home