03 September 2005
Happy Birthday, little man!

Today was little man's birthday--he's now a big four year old. And it looks as if he's finally outgrown the psychological damage I inflicted on him on his 2nd birthday.

Let me explain. I'm not a crafty person. I can't knit or crochet, I can't even sew except simple repairs. I don't scrapbook, I can't draw, and although I have loads of creativity in me, I can't express any of it in anything remotely crafty. I just don't make stuff, I buy it.

But on Liam's 2nd birthday I decided that to change that. I was going to make him a cake, and it was going to be beautiful. I read up on decorating, and then went shopping. I bought a cake pan shaped like Blue, and all the bags and tips and equipment I could find that would help me make a cake that looked like Blue.

I slaved for nearly the whole day on this cake. I had bowls and bowls of icing that I'd mixed up, struggling to mix the colors just right. I decorated, scraped off, then decorated some more. I was so stressed about this cake, I wanted it to be just right.

Finally at about 10 that night I was finished. My cake was beautiful! It looked just like Blue, and I was so proud of myself I could hardly stand it. I'd NEVER done anything like that before, and here was this great cake in front of me that I did all by myself. I went to bed exhausted but extremely fulfilled.

The next day was little man's party. I couldn't wait for him to see his cake, I just knew he'd love it. And sure enough, when cake time came, his little face lit up and made all those hours of work completely worth the effort. We all sang happy birthday, Liam blew out his candles, and I cut into the top of the cake and gave him a piece.

He started screaming bloody murder, "No, no, put it back!!" He cried at the top of his lungs, like someone was killing him. I had cut Blue's ear off, and apparently Liam took it seriously. He sobbed and sobbed until I took the piece of cake off his plate, put Blue's ear back on, fixed the frosting and put the cake away. He was so upset. I'm not sure what happened--I mean I know he couldn't have thought it was really Blue--but he was truly devastated. No one had any cake until he'd gone to bed that night.

And from that day to this, whenever the child hears the birthday song, he screams, "No, no!" and cries his little heart out. At other kids' birthday parties we have to take him out of the room until the singing has safely finished. He cries when they sing it on tv, or someone sings it to him on the phone--any time he hears it.

But today, for some unknown reason, we got to sing to him. He actually let us sing the birthday song. He's finally cured! I didn't permanently damage him--I'm so relieved! And I will never, ever, make him a cake shaped like anything ever ever again. So, happy birthday my big 4-year-old, I'm so glad I didn't break you.


liam in gma l's chair


posted by Julie at 10:29 PM 5 comments

5 Comments:

Blogger Jen said...

Baby breaker! Shame on you!

Hee hee, poor mom, what a mess...

Sun Sep 04, 01:34:00 AM GMT+1  
Blogger Vetmommy said...

Wow, how could you have known? My husband made an awesome Pooh Bear cake for my daughter's 2nd birthday, and she was so happy to eat him! This year for her 4th, he made a sheet cake with Uniqua from the Backyardigans, and she wanted to eat her! So, don't blame yourself!

Sun Sep 04, 03:48:00 AM GMT+1  
Blogger eyes_only4him said...

how cute is he??..what an adorebale little boy..hope he had a good birthday..

I had a simalar experince with my son..but i think it was a telletubbie or a dinosaur..cat remeber now..LOL

Sun Sep 04, 05:14:00 AM GMT+1  
Blogger Cheryl said...

Wow he's adorable - what more could you wish for in a child than such a kind heart (Poor Blue, you butchered him - hehe).

HAPPY BIRTHDAY LM!!!!

Sun Sep 04, 02:27:00 PM GMT+1  
Blogger Lora said...

That must have been quite the cake.

Sat Sep 10, 05:26:00 AM GMT+1  

Post a Comment

<< Home