29 August 2005
I've banned whining

It's been a crazy few days around here. I've been stuck in a pity party about my situation but I didn't want to blog about it any more, so I held off. I feel better about things now, more resigned, so I'm back. :)

Amelia started middle school today. She's been so excited about this for so long that I was glad the day finally came. She's been picking out "first day" outfits since May! Since she had it so built up in her mind, I was afraid that the reality wouldn't live up to the expectations, but she absolutely loved it! She's infatuated with the whole idea of moving from class to class, having a locker and that sort of thing. I hope she continues to enjoy it as the year progresses, maybe she'll work harder at school. Amelia's an incredibly smart girl, but most of the time she either can't be bothered, or forgets, to do things like turn her homework in. This year, not only will her grades suffer if she doesn't, but she also gets detention. Woo-hooo! Maybe that will make her think twice. But basically, I just want her to enjoy it and to live up to her potential--isn't that what every parent wants?

Liam is still adjusting to the time change, I think. He's become an absolute terror at bedtimes; it's a good thing he's cute! It never used to be a problem, but now every night we're treated to temper tantrums, screaming--the works--at bedtime. I'm hoping it passes soon. He's going through another phase now as well; he loves putting makeup on. This really bothers his dad, but I don't see a problem with it. He sees me doing it, and wants to "play" too; it's not like it's going to affect his choice of lifestyle as an adult--he's not even four yet. If you have sons and you've gone through this phase, please comment so I can show my DH it's really not a big deal? Please?? Liam really is a sweetie, though--the other night he cuddled up with me and said, "Mommy, I want to marry you". Awwww. In the next breath he said he wanted to marry the Power Rangers, but I'm choosing to forget that part.

Friday we got the dog neutered (woo-hoo!!). I've been wanting to do it for a long time, but DH was holding off--must be a guy thing. He's a huge dog, and even though he's over 2 now, he still acts like an over-excitable little puppy. If he was a little ankle-biter we could live with it, but when he gets excited he knocks people over. Considering he's bigger than Liam, that's not a good thing. Don't get me wrong, Wolfie doesn't have a mean bone in his body, but he's just too big to act like he does. The vet assured us that neutering would help. Apparently it takes a week or two for the testosterone to get out of his body, then he should calm down. Wish me luck!

Well, I made it through the whole post without bitching about my bladder or my doctor! I'm going now before I'm tempted to start!


posted by Julie at 4:15 PM 7 comments

7 Comments:

Blogger Jane said...

My brother used to play with a doll and wanted my mum to put make up on him when he was about your son's age didn't affect him, he did all the boy things as well guns, cars played rugby he's 33 now. I think if you are gay or transgendered it's there at birth, if you are not, you are not playing with mummy's make up isn't going to change him.

Tue Aug 30, 06:23:00 PM GMT+1  
Blogger carpediemtomorrow said...

Please don't encourage her Jane.
Karen, I had the change a few years ago too, but I still chew on slippers!

Tue Aug 30, 08:57:00 PM GMT+1  
Blogger Jen said...

Tiernan used to put on my makeup all the time. If we were going somewhere he'd have to run upstairs and put on eyeshadow and lipstick. He seems to have outgrown it (maybe a couple of months ago?)

When I asked around, everyone said their son went through this phase. Especially if he has older sisters. So, it's nothing to worry about. :-)

Wed Aug 31, 01:38:00 AM GMT+1  
Blogger Vetmommy said...

Yes, my little Colin wants to put on my make-up, too. Monkey see monkey do. He especially likes the blush and the lipstick.

He also is simultaneously adorable and having way too many tantrums. Especially at dinnertime, a guaranteed stomachache for mom.

Wed Aug 31, 02:09:00 AM GMT+1  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

All three of my boys have always adored makeup. Dylan called it "Make on" as in "Are you putting your make on mommy?" LOL...it was so cute. Anyway, it's great fun to dip a brush in and fluff it on your face or better yet DRAW with an eyeliner pencil!

Wed Aug 31, 03:33:00 AM GMT+1  
Blogger Renee Nefe said...

I don't have much experience with boys & make-up. But DD likes to wear lip make-up on her eyes.

But what is up with men and getting the dog fixed??? My DH had me wait to take our dog to get fixed until he went out of town..."gee thanks dear!" Luckily our next 3 pets came fixed already. Whimp...next is his turn!

Wed Aug 31, 04:58:00 AM GMT+1  
Blogger eyes_only4him said...

i didnt know i had a child old enough to be in JR HIGH..wow..LOL

my son use to put my make up on too...not sure why..boys are nuts that way:)

Wed Aug 31, 10:29:00 PM GMT+1  

Post a Comment

<< Home