18 September 2005
Spontaneous combustion explained

Earlier today, I came across one of the strangest articles I've read in a while.

"An Australian man built up a 40,000-volt charge of
static electricity
in his clothes as he walked, leaving a trail of scorched carpet and molten plastic and forcing firefighters to evacuate a building..."


When this guy, wearing a wool shirt and nylon jacket walked into a building, he caught the carpet on fire. He left (apparently without knowing he'd done any damage) and got in his car--where he burned the floorboards. At that point he figured it out and asked the firefighters for help. They took his jacket--and even in storage it kept its 40,000-volt charge! Apparently if the voltage had gotten any stronger, his clothes would have spontaneously ignited. Maybe he should be the new Static Guard poster child! "Don't let what happened to me happen to you, buy Static Guard today".


posted by Julie at 10:07 PM 3 comments

3 Comments:

Blogger Bossy♥'s YOU said...

Holy crap...that is a walking advertisment for Staic Gaurd..I am on my way to buy some now..Holy shit

Mon Sep 19, 03:04:00 AM GMT+1  
Blogger Jen said...

Good thing he wasn't wearing pantyhose, too! I ALWAYS feel like those damn nylons are trying to kill me.

Mon Sep 19, 04:13:00 AM GMT+1  
Blogger Karen said...

It's a good job he didn't try to fill his car up at the petrol station - scary.

Mon Sep 19, 10:56:00 AM GMT+1  

Post a Comment

<< Home