02 June 2005
Things I've learned...

Apparently some poor schmuck searching for Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwyll-llantysiliogogogoch, Wales, ended up at my site. Oops, sorry!

Anyway, I just finished reading "Wars of the Roses"--it was pretty good. I thought I'd share some amusing things I learned from this book...

1. Henry VIII's great-great-grandfather was completely mad. He was Charles VI of France, and lost his mind in 1392 when he ran "berserk with a lance and killed four people before being overcome by his attendants". He also belived he was made of glass, had almost-continual violent delusions, ate his food from the floor like a dog, and many times was unable to recognize his own wife and kids. Damn frogs!
His insanity was inherited by at least one decendent--Henry VI.
Wonder if this had anything to do with Henry VIII's habit of decapitating his wives?

2. Apparently if you are the brother of the king and commit treason, you get to decide how you're executed. George, Duke of Clarence, (Edward IV's brother) chose to be drowned in a vat of wine in 1478. I can think of worse ways to go!

3. Thank God for coolants! At Agincourt, only one English noble was killed in battle. They put his corpse in a "huge cauldron of water and boiled all night, so that the flesh dissolved and the bones could be transported back to England". All I have to say is YUCK!

4. If your son is the prince, happens to be the last of your line and has no military experience, for God's sake DO NOT let him lead an army into battle! Seems like it would go without saying, but I guess not.
And thus it ended (for a few years anyway!)


BTW--if you ever want to find out where someone famous is buried, try
Find-a-Grave; it's pretty cool, although a bit morbid...

That's all for now, folks--have to go watch the ER season finale (aka "how the hell are they letting Carter leave??!)



posted by Julie at 7:21 PM 2 comments

2 Comments:

Blogger carpediemtomorrow said...

The font of all knowledge.

I wonder if one day I will be listed in the "Find a Grave" listings?

I love the way that you can be reading something of real interest, hear the sig tune to ER or Desperate Housewives and you become a couch potato.

Fri Jun 03, 02:15:00 PM GMT+1  
Blogger Jen said...

I love Find a Grave! findadeath.com is pretty cool, too.

I wonder if it smells better when they boil you all night if you died by drowning in a vat of wine?

Fri Jun 03, 11:15:00 PM GMT+1  

Post a Comment

<< Home