25 May 2005
I'm impressed

Now, I've heard of stove fires. I may even have accidentally started one or two in my life. But I have to say, I'm pretty damn proud of my DH for this one.

It was his turn for dinner tonight. Our kitchen is divided into two rooms; one with the stove, Aga, table, etc, and another with the cabinets, sink, dishwasher. He was in the "sink" room doing something else while dinner was cooking in the "kitchen". I was in the living room when I heard this...

"Daddy, is that really on fire?"

"Umm, no honey, nothing's on fire" *distracted*

"No, really, Dad. I think you should look."

"Mommy LOOK!" shouts the 3 yr old.

That did it for me. I turned around, and from my seat I saw FLAMES reflecting off the kitchen door!

Into the kitchen I ran---to find...

the OVEN on fire!

Flames leaping out, smoke billowing, the whole nine yards.

How the HELL do you do THAT??
Click on *** to read more

Turns out he was cooking pork--and he decided to make "scratchings" from the pork fat. Put it in the oven, top shelf, turn on broiler. Apparently the oil splattered up and caught the broiler coils on fire. Who knew?

Good thing I love him.






posted by Julie at 1:30 AM 6 comments

6 Comments:

Blogger Heather said...

Ooh I am glad you are all ok. I think I would have FREAKED!! But you know, we all have those moments where we are not really paying attention to what the kids are saying....Take care!! And hope all cleaned up well...

Wed May 25, 11:47:00 AM GMT+1  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, glad no one was hurt.

Wed May 25, 03:04:00 PM GMT+1  
Blogger Jen said...

Don't expect Dad to be impressed, they just got their kitchen back together...

I started a fire in a microwave once, but never in an oven. Give him a high five for me.

Wed May 25, 05:09:00 PM GMT+1  
Blogger Lora said...

Great new look to the site. I see that like me you just can't stop trying out new things.

Wed May 25, 10:50:00 PM GMT+1  
Blogger carpediemtomorrow said...

I have tried everything to get out of the cooking and nothing, absolutely nothing works !!!

Thu May 26, 12:37:00 AM GMT+1  
Blogger Julie said...

Ha ha! And that won't either! :)

Thu May 26, 12:49:00 AM GMT+1  

Post a Comment

<< Home