29 May 2005
Weird things...

Sheri made a comment about servants at my house (no we don't have any--I wish!). What we do have is a panel on our kitchen wall that used to be used to summon the servants. All the rooms listed have a button somewhere which, when pressed, rings in the kitchen and the corresponding thingie moves. I'm not sure why only a handful are rooms are listed, but there you have it. Our kids ringing the bells and driving us crazy!


image3


Click on the *** below to see more weird things...

The strange things you find in a really old house...

This is our "ghost door" (little man has a thing for peeling paint, just ignore it. We do.) It used to lead into little man's room, and was blocked up; no idea why.
image14

This is a bricked up window (inside view on a disused staircase). We have 4 bricked-in windows of various sizes all visible from the outside, but this is the only one I can locate from the inside. Probably bricked up in the 18th century to avoid the window tax (used to be a type of property tax based on the number of windows in the house).
image13

Little man got to the paint again. But this time, when he peeled off layers upon layers upon layers of old wallpaper, something that looks like burlap sacking appeared. Why? I don't know... Just seems really bizarre.

image15


It's these weird little idiosyncracies that give this old place its character. I want to open up the door again, and unblock some of the windows and the fireplaces. And I can't wait until the workmen come to repair one of the floorboards--people used to hide things under the floor around here....I'm really curious as to what we'll find! If only I owned the place and wasn't just renting!!


posted by Julie at 11:37 PM 8 comments

8 Comments:

Blogger Morris said...

Neat house! I wish I lived there with you.

Morris
Ask Morris

Mon May 30, 12:52:00 AM GMT+1  
Blogger Lora said...

How great to live in a house with such history. The place we rent was built in 1974 and is considered old by local standards. Oh course, it in an apartment complex.

Mon May 30, 07:49:00 AM GMT+1  
Blogger Jen said...

That's all just too creepy. How can you stand it? Don't you just lay awake at night imagining you hear a distant voice going "ch ch ch ch ah ah ah ah Get Get Get Get OUT OUT OUT OUT!!!!!!" I bet you will now! ;-) Love ya, sis!

Mon May 30, 07:52:00 AM GMT+1  
Blogger Julie said...

Thanks, Jen---NOW I will... :)

Mon May 30, 02:38:00 PM GMT+1  
Blogger carpediemtomorrow said...

wow, firstly, let me say waht a wonderful new layout and design and secondly, I will protect you from the noises and your sister.

Great job sweetie :)

Mon May 30, 11:33:00 PM GMT+1  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

LOL Jen..I don't know about Julie..but I bet I'll be up all night hearing noises now! That would be such a fun (and creepy!) place to live...especially the bells...

Mon May 30, 11:37:00 PM GMT+1  
Blogger Lora said...

Very nice new look! I've been needing to do that for so long now.

Tue May 31, 04:23:00 AM GMT+1  
Blogger carpediemtomorrow said...

The Hubby daren't!!!

Tue May 31, 02:40:00 PM GMT+1  

Post a Comment

<< Home