30 April 2005
Saturday's Shampoo

Lather: What is the most embarrassing family incident YOU WERE INVOLVED IN that you can recall? It can be something done to you, or by you.

My daughter Amelia has always been capable of doing things that make me want to die of shame, it's a talent she has--a little like her aunt.

One of her 'best' moments was at a restaurant in a very touristy area in London. She was only 5, but she's always been precocious. She had to go potty, and there was a line about 15 women long waiting on only two stalls. Someone at the head of the line took pity on my little 'angel' and let us cut in.

Amelia proceeded to have, by far, the biggest poo I've ever seen (I couldn't believe someone so small could MAKE anything that big!)--she was so proud! And then, disaster struck in the form of a :floater:--you know, the ones that just won't go down, no matter how many times you flush? Yeah. Knowing there was a huge line out there, I just started laughing out of sheer embarrassment, you know the kind where the tears are coming out, but you just can't stop laughing?
Big mistake.
"Mommy, what's so funny?"

The bigger mistake was telling her what I was thinking.
"No one will ever believe this came from tiny little you. They'll all think it was me"

The mischievious glint had just enough time to materialize in her eyes before she shouted out (in that penetratingly loud voice only a little girl can manage),

"My mommy's just had a huge poo and it won't go down the toilet!"

The bathroom erupted in laughter, which only egged her on more.


"It's so huge and it stinks in here! Someone help me!"

We stayed in the stall for about half an hour--until the room was cleared out. We immediately paid our bill and left the restaurant---I've never been back.


Rinse: Did you have a "lovey" (special blankie, stuffed animal, etc) as a child?

Yes, I had the "tupperware blanket". I have no idea how it got that name, just that I've had it forever, and when I was little I wouldn't let the thing out of my sight. This pic is me (sucking my thumb) and Jen underneath it, sometime in the 70s (check out the cool carpet!)




tupperware blankee Posted by Hello

Where is it now?

Like I said, I never let the thing out of my sight. This is my daughter (the little 'angel') using it when she was 2.... She's since outgrown it and my 3 year old uses it now.


Posted by Hello

Repeat: Spread the blog love, what blogs have you seen lately that you think more people should be watching?

Saturday's Shampoo deserves a mention--thanks to Jen and Heather for their great idea! Also, Shades of Pink, my own private idaho and Waiter Rant are great, go take a look! Also, my husband is in the other room, building his own blog--I'll link to that one as soon as he's up {but if he says mean things about me; they're not true! :) }




posted by Julie at 2:49 PM 5 comments

5 Comments:

Blogger Jen said...

This is my understanding of why it's called The Tupperware Blanket. At the time you received it, Mom was really making a go at selling Tupperware to help make a living. So, we had all this neat new stuff in our house and it all came from Tupperware. When the blanket came along during the same period, you assumed it also came from that great giver of nifty new things, Tupperware, and the name stuck.

Also, at the same time, the worst thing you could think of to say to curse people when you were mad was, "You can't come to mine Tupperware party!" Poor Mom!

Sat Apr 30, 06:51:00 PM GMT+1  
Blogger Julie said...

I forgot about that! Too funny!

Sat Apr 30, 07:05:00 PM GMT+1  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh my gosh!!I am rolling on the floor laughing at the "poo"!!! That is too funny! And i so needed that today!

Sun May 01, 12:04:00 AM GMT+1  
Blogger Julie said...

Glad to help! She also got me once (she was 4, I think) in the airport. We were picking someone up, and she started laughing, then ran ahead of me shouting at the top of her lungs, "That woman is trying to take me---that's not my mommy! Help! Help!"
I honestly couldn't believe I didn't end up in jail for that one! :)

Sun May 01, 12:22:00 AM GMT+1  
Blogger Lora said...

Sounds like she has a highly developed sense of humor.

Sun May 01, 08:03:00 AM GMT+1  

Post a Comment

<< Home