20 April 2005
"Exploring the Unconscious"

Are you a racist (or religionist or genderist, etc)? Try the implicit association tests at Project Implicit. Researchers based at Harvard are trying to define the divergences between conscious and unconscious beliefs. In other words, even if you don't believe that you discriminate against others who are straight/gay, white/black, religious/atheist, etc, these tests may show that subconsciously you really do. Pretty interesting stuff.

Apparently the test has really divided opnions on its accuracy, as you can see in this article from the BBC:

'"At first I thought it was wrong, but then I began to think it could be
telling me something about myself I don't want to admit to. It's quite
depressing."

But not everyone is convinced. Some critics argue it has more to do with hand- eye co-ordination and manual dexterity than unearthing deep-seated prejudices.'

See for yourself....


posted by Julie at 3:56 PM 3 comments

3 Comments:

Blogger Jen said...

I blogged a link to your blog to look at this!

Thu Apr 21, 12:08:00 AM GMT+1  
Blogger Heather said...

You know, it showed me as a Stron Preference to Young over Old...that really surprised me! Nice link :)

Fri Apr 22, 05:28:00 PM GMT+1  
Blogger Julie said...

Thanks Heather! I'm still getting instructions from my lovely sis, Jen. :)

Fri Apr 22, 08:57:00 PM GMT+1  

Post a Comment

<< Home